By INIFD Kothrud on Apr 7, 2020 4:24:15 PM
March 2020 has been a whirlwind month for the fashion industry. From new stores opening to the Coronavirus pandemic, many significant events have taken place in the fashion industry. Here is the latest fashion design news from March 2020:
1. ‘Next In Fashion’ on Netflix becomes a Cult-favourite
Netflix’s new show called ‘Next in Fashion’ is a reality TV show featuring fashion designers across the world. The show has quickly become a cult favourite and viewers are loving it..
The show is hosted and judged by Tan France - of Queer Eye fame and Alexa Chung from British Vogue. The dynamic duo has spearheaded the show and mentored the assistants and the feedback has been overwhelmingly positive.
Each episode features themes like “red carpet garments”, “prints”, or “renaissance” and the contestants have to design their clothes around these.
Narresh of the famed Indian duo of Shivan and Narresh is also a participant on the show. Catch all episodes of Next in Fashion on Netflix.
2. Anita Dongre Breaks Revenue Records
By following her gut and killer business instincts, Anita Dongre has erected one of the biggest Indian fashion houses in India. But now the designer is also making her mark around the world.
The designer has opened her flagship store in New York - House of Anita Dongre and is showing no signs of slowing down. The company is projected to cross a revenue of 20 million USD (i.e.$130 million INR). This will very quickly make her not only one of the biggest Indian designers but the biggest global designer.
“Anita Dongre was the only designer to understand the need for designer pret [or ready-to-wear] and diffusion wear in India, and really is a case study for other Indian designers,” says Indian designer Rahul Mishra.
Related Post - Top Stories About Fashion Designing - February 2020
3. Coronavirus Jeopardizes Multiple Fashion Events
The biggest news in March has been the quick spread of Coronavirus across the globe. The pandemic has made its presence felt across multiple industries and fashion is no exception.
- Multiple shows and fashion gathering in India and abroad have been cancelled due to the virus as multiple countries enforce social distancing. India too has felt the tremors of these sudden shutdowns.
- The IIFA 2020 Delhi Fashion Week and India Fashion Week got cancelled for the season with no plans of coming back in the near future. Even retail stores and couture houses like all of Aditya Birla’s Retail Stores, all Sabyasachi stores, and many more have shut down indefinitely.
A big drawback of these shutdowns is the job insecurity for the millions of workers, artisans, employees and staff that work in these fashion industries.
- Many fashion houses like that of Christian Siriano have suspended making garments and dedicated their workshops to making masks for the general public.
- LVMH also shut operations in their perfume houses and is now using the raw materials to make sanitizer instead as there is a shortage in the markets.
And those were the biggest events that happened across the month. March has ended with uncertainty and gloom in the fashion industry due to the spring season being jeopardized.
Hopes are of the act now so that things can return to normal as soon as possible. Stay tuned on the social and webpages of INIFD Kothrud for more fashion related updates!